Friday 1 January 2010

Only in India, Sirjee!


Day started quite late around 11:00am. Had our Laal Batti Gaadi waiting for us!



India amazes me! For a hell lot of reasons, but then this is one of the them which tops the list! Anywhere they think appropriate and any place they feel is even remotely holy (still haven't found out for what reason), there is bound to be flowers (prasad) and an idol (Murti)!

Shahpur Jat is famous for footwear. Nope, they don't have many stores there. But, they have cobblers there who make any designer footwear for you, in any material at very cheap rates. Sad fact - I went there on their day off so couldn't get any! Though I did enjoy my freedom and explored the place while the banking facilities in India took up their freedom to annoy my aunt and keep her there for hours!


What did I say about India being a holy place? They wouldn't even spare an electric box?!


Found some very fashionable young crowd there! Ed Hardy? Damn, I thought it was too expensive and a leather jacket over Churidhar? Even better, I think us fashion designers need to go trend-spotting to Delhi next after Paris!




Commonwealth Chief Engineer? Thought I'd go and have a word with him and ask him what's happening with our Games which are supposedly going to held in October. Doesn't seem like that's happening, well, at least the city doesn't look geared up for it yet.

On our way to Karol bagh, we came across this street which could well be awarded as the most random street in the world, I really doubt if this is possible anywhere else except maybe for China. Haven't been there so can't decide. This street which had the width of an auto (probably a few centimetres more than that) had the most varied things ever. For instance, one store with mannequins and the next with bathroom equipment, a store selling paan and the next with lamp shades. And, another amazing thing, in that small a lane, our driver managed to cross the auto with our laal baati ambassador gaadi!


Our guava bhai saab!


Indian boys behind the gori chicks! I wish I could add a audio clip here of them shouting back at the Indian boys in their anglicized Hindi!



Our paltan of policemen who accompanied us to our trip to Chandni Chowk! Everyone around us thought that that might be a bright idea but it left us completely embarrassed.


Kinari Bajaar! It had all the accessories that you need in a wedding from turbans to talwars to money maalas!







The gurudwara at Chandni Chowk from where I got my kripaan!


What?!



Jama Masjid. Reminded me of Masakali!






A goat in a scooter!


Chandni Chowk = Food from Kareem's
Nobody should leave behind Kareem's Mughlai Khaana if they come to Delhi. Aah! The food made me wonder if heaven would have meat dishes because if it doesn't have Kareem's then it's far too big a loss for heaven as there ever could be!








Lajpat Nagar - Jhoothi store


Brocades toppled over!


This cake was lying in our room for more than a day, we didn't bother eating it. Only after that did we realize that it was bought from a store in Khan Market, after that the cake vanished! We are such label - w****s!


This is plain heaven! A book to read, warm chai, a heater (which kind of made me smell like Chicken Tikka) and just the fact that I was in DELHI!

1 comment:

  1. Sahar.. (Correctly spelled this time)

    Spending half of my life in Delhi, Ive failed to witness the kind of charm you saw.. Next time I am in Delhi i'm gonna discover that charm!

    ReplyDelete