Saturday 2 January 2010

On her way to become hard boiled ...

In India, everyone HAS to get married. If you’re not married, then you’re not mature enough to do anything else in life. Everything you do ends up with marriage at the end of the day.

“I want to get a degree in blah blah”
Parent – “Yes, beta, you’ll get a good, healthy (read: fat) and rich girl, so go ahead”

“I want to work”
Parent – “Yes, beta, you’ll get a good, healthy (this time read: very fat), rich and a girl from a good khandaan to get married.”

These are some of the typical conversations in every household in India. I don’t want to stereotype, but legend says this is true. And, the reason for this post is that my best friend is doing the same. On her way to become a hard boiled egg from the group of a lot of semi boiled and a few raw ones! So, congratulations to her and I bow down to her courage! I know I sound like she’s going out to a battlefield, but that idea kind of freaks me out, so it’s the same!

2 comments:

  1. "hard boiled, semi boiled and raw ones"

    lolz! what a great way to put it! :)

    (if you are wondering how i came by your blog -i happened to see it on Sadiya's FB profile while wishing her on her birthday :D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and just like 'healthy','cultured' and 'adjusting' means lacking opinion, pretty is photogenic and I still can't figure out how everyone manages to find a 'fair' bride!

    ReplyDelete