Friday 1 January 2010

Dilli

10:25 am: Police commissioner of Delhi (some area, I don't know): Bloody cold. Well, 10 degrees might not be very cold for people from a major part of the world, but I'm from Dubai and I have absolutely no immunity to that kind of weather. A very smart me decided that wet hair would be a great idea. Made me regret that decision the second water touched my head.
Indira Gandhi International Airport at 5:00 am in five degrees, but at that time the weather didn't matter. Was way too happy to reach India. Reached home at 6:00am and slept. And, from 11:30am started the most fun filled, longest, tiring and not to forget, expensive four days of my life.



Drove till Connaught place, realization hits quite early that it was Christmas, which means its a public holiday. Ah! Then, JANPATH!





Dilli Haat at 1:00pm: Reality hits us that there's no other place in this world with cultures so diverse, yet so similar. Everything, from fabrics to embroideries to colours, just mindblowing!




Went to Nehru Place and the two stores that I visited made me realize that they had enough fabric to dress the whole of UAE and still have more fabrics than there ever was all of Meena Bazaar!
Next destination: Malviya Nagar. This place is famous among fashion designers to get embroideries done perfectly and inexpensively. We walked and walked and walked till we decided we need new feet. Still couldn't find our embroidery shops. Later, saw it tucked away inside a long gully in between a vegetable market and a lot of steel utensil selling shops. Still have no clue what the connection is with all the three.
Pet Puja time!

The breakfast at 11am, a Mountain Dew and a coffee didn't keep my tummy happy that too in a place which is teeming with Mughlai Food!

Off to Khan Market to Khan Chacha's! A very heartbroken and hungry me found that the shop didn't exist anymore. Walked further and realized they just shifted to a new location with a new ultimately ridiculous name: Aap Ki Khatir(?!)
Happy stomach, happy me. Now, off to sleep!

2 comments:

  1. Or so I thought... before I ate from Jawahar's the lesser known eatery right in the front of Kareem's. Now I swear by Jawahar, and Kareem's is just a vague memory, hyped by the tourists and non-delhi residents!!! Next time you SHOULD eat from Jawahar. Their Mutton Roganghosh is melt in the mouth, spicy heaven!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok....i dont know why i like this blog.its got its quirks and everything. What really seems nice and caught my fancy was the pictures in this post. Love the way you explain somethin in words and then put a picture there...nice entry.

    ReplyDelete